Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

Hubby's Been In the Kitchen!


My husband likes to cook.  Isn't that wonderful?!  Actually, he likes to bake more than cook.  We like rhubarb a lot in our house.  With this in mind, he was going to make a rhubarb cake.  I am not really fond of cake.  Actually, I don't like cake.  However, I REALLY LIKE crisps, cobblers, crumbles, etc.  Lots of fruit, crunchy top.  You get the picture.  I told him to make a rhubarb crisp instead.  He says OK.  So while I searched for the recipe, I came across a rhubarb blueberry pie.  So my mind starts to go crazy with the possibility...Honey?  Want to make a rhubarb blueberry crisp?  He thought it was a wonderful idea!  Now his mind starts racing and he came up with this recipe.  It is delicious!  However, it is a very thin crisp.  I would have used much more fruit because I like very fruity crisps.  But nonetheless, he has invented a masterpiece!  Here is the recipe:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Filling
1/4 cup granulated sugar                                              1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
1/4 cup light brown sugar                                                3 cups diced rhubarb
1/4 teaspoon salt (I would reduce this to 1/8)                     3 cups blueberries

2.  Combine sugars, salt and tapioca in a large bowl.  Mix well.  Add rhubarb and blueberries and mix until fruit is well coated.  Pour fruit mixture in a 9 x 13 pan.  (This is where I might have used an 8 x 8 pan to make the crisp a bit thicker.)

Topping
3/4 cup flour
4 Nature Valley Crunchy Oats 'n Honey bars (they come 2 to a packet)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small pieces

3.  Using a rolling pin, crush the bars until the pieces are about the size of Grapenuts cereal.  Combine the flour, crushed bars, brown sugar and salt in a bowl.  Add butter and using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in until mixture is like coarse meal.  Distribute evenly on top of the fruit mixture.  Bake about 30 minutes in 9 x 13 (or 35-40 minutes for the 8 x 8 pan) or until top is browned and fruit is bubbly.

That's it!  It is a delicious mixture of two scrumptious fruits with a wonderful crispy top!  Enjoy and thanks so much for stopping by today!

No comments:

Post a Comment