Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

The "Perfect" Lemon Square Recipe (for us!)

In regards to a previous post on my Cake Plate, I had said that I would post a recipe when I felt that it was good enough to share.  Well, I think I have done it! To preface this,  I have a husband who doesn't like anything lemon, and he is eating a fair portion of these!  These lemon squares have a very tangy, lemony flavor so if you don't like a strong lemon flavor touching your palate, these won't be for you.  I tried several recipes, mixed and matched, and finally came up with something that my entire family likes!  However, they have had to eat so many lemon squares in the past few days, I believe they are weary of them right now!   Here it is!  I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!  I will caution you, however, to let them cool completely before trying to cut them.  If they are the slightest bit warm, they will not cut well at all.  Ask me how I know that.... I was much to impatient to taste them and cut them way too early!

SHIRLEY'S VERY LEMONY LEMON SQUARES

Crust
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature

Filling
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 cup lemon juice
4 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 9X9 baking pan with foil.  In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar and salt.  Cut the butter into chunks and add to the flour mixture.  Blend on low speed with an electric mixer until the mixture has a coarse, sandy texture.  Pour into your pan and press down until it is all even.  Bake for 16-19 minutes, or until sides are a golden brown.

While baking the crust, put the eggs in a bowl and whisk until well mixed.  Add the sugar, flour and baking powder.  With an electric mixer, blend on low speed until smooth.  Add the lemon juice and continue to blend on low speed until well mixed.  If you desire a more brilliant yellow color, you may add yellow food coloring. I added about 4 drops to mine and they were a very beautiful yellow.  Pour this mixture over a hot crust.  Bake 25 minutes, or until filling in the center is firm to the touch.  Cool COMPLETELY before slicing.  Top with confectioner's sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment